Enhancing automation with network growth

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Thu Jan 21 23:38:29 UTC 2010

On 1/21/2010 4:29 PM, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:52:39PM -0500, Erik L wrote:
>>> One thing that would take a major load off would be if my MRTG system
>>> could simply update its config/index files for itself, instead of me
>>> having to  do it on each and every port change.
>>>
>>> Can anyone offer up ideas on how you manage any automation in this
>>> regard for their infrastructure gear traffic graphs?
>>> (Commercial options
>>> welcome, off-list, but we're as small as our budget is).
>>
>> Not sure how you're doing your graphs currently, but have you considered Cacti?
>
> If automating MRTG config is hard, automating Cacti config is about as close
> to "impossible" as one can get without popping around to the Augean stables.

It has been a while, and I have not been following this thread, but once
upon a time I had Korn scripts that read (SNMP) devices found and
generated MRTG scripts for what it found.

Sure enough, I had to go into each one and clean up names and stuff, and
occasionally to discard some of what the automaton had created.

If I can do that, it seems like anybody can.

--
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to
take everything you have."

Remember:  The Ark was built by amateurs, the Titanic by professionals.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs