Patents, IETF and Network Operators

Shane Ronan sronan at fattoc.com
Thu Jan 21 17:32:44 UTC 2010

The real question is why Patent something?

The reality is even if you patent any idea/feature, other vendors will
come out with a similar (although not patent infringing) version of
the same idea/feature. While you might get a short term jump on other
vendors, if the idea is really good, everyone else will catch up
quickly. Further, customers REALLY like inter-op, I know for one I
don't use protocols from vendors that aren't "standard"