OT: old farts recollecting -- Re: ASR1002

William Hamilton bill at edisys.co.uk
Thu Jan 21 09:27:45 UTC 2010

On 21/01/2010 07:25, Randy Bush wrote:
>> It's funny how we circle around with technology, folks are dumping
>> their phone land lines and adopting wireless/mobile that required a
>> substantial technology leap and investment and now we are using the
>> mobile phone to "text" an incompressible dialect worse than the early
>> teletype/telex days but with a humongous infrastructure to support it.
>
> and paying and exhorbitant price per word for negligible bandwidth.
>
> run your own servers or use a friend's and use email

I don't know about anyone else, but the vast majority of my non-tech
friends (and even most of my tech ones) don't use email on their phone.

Anyone (i.e. everyone I know) who has a mobile phone has the ability to
receive an SMS and some things in life are far too much hassle to nickel
and dime over the cost per word of sending a communication - life is too
short.