10Gbps Traffic Test Systems

Brad Fleming bdfleming at kanren.net
Wed Jan 20 22:04:40 UTC 2010

I am in the market for 10Gbps traffic testers.

Here are some of the things I'd like to have:
1) Mixed packet sizes
2) Ramp TCP sessions up/down quickly
3) Many source and destination IPs
4) Ability to ramp traffic up and down
5) Simulate targeted SYN floods
6) 10,000+ packets per second

We'll use these devices to test throughput and resource utilization on
routers and firewalls/security systems. We'll also test and prove
candidate QoS configurations (ie: DSCP41 still works well even when
DSCP11 is saturating links).

The catch is that I work for a charitable, non-profit with limited
resources. I understand you can't have steak on a sardine budget; I'm
just trying to find suggestions on a testing platform for "thrifty"
customers! We do not have any existing testing systems other than
iPerf on a Mac Mini.

Any suggestions, either on-list or off, are welcome and appreciated.

Brad Fleming