Grant Funding

Fletcher Kittredge fkittred at staff.gwi.net
Tue Jan 19 21:26:56 UTC 2010

What do you want to know?   We were the first NTIA grant announced.    $32
million project to build rural *dark* fiber networks.   The model was to
form a new company which would be carrier neutral and just build and
maintain rural dark fiber.   A carrier's carrier;  structural separation;
prices based on cost plus margin, not what the market would bear, open
access, non-discrimination....  This model seemed to resonate with the
Feds.    The local incumbents still seem to have a hard time believing we
would get a government subsidy and then immediately give it away.   A model
where any carrier, including them, could have access to dark fiber on equal
terms is beyond their ken.

regards,
Fletcher

--