New netblock Geolocate wrong (Google)

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Jan 19 12:23:41 UTC 2010

>>> Something that I have often wondered is how folks would feel about
>>> publishing some sort of geo information in reverse DNS (something like
>>> LOC records, with whatever precision you like) -- this would allow the
>>> folks that geo stuff to automagically provide the best answer, and
>>> because you control the record, you can specify whatever resolution /
>>> precision you like.
>>
>> yes!
>
> FWIW, there has been some work in the IETF on creating protocols to
> allow pretty rich location information to be published in reverse DNS.
>  Basically, you publish a NAPTR pointer to a location server [1] where
> an interested client can ask for the location of a specific IP address
> [2][3].  (Publishing location in this way is a requirement in several
> systems for VoIP 9-1-1 around the world to allow first responders to
> ask networks for location.  See for example the NENA i3 architecture
> in the US and a similar "Canadian i2" for Canada.)
>
> The location representation these protocols use is a profile of the
> Geospatial Markup Language, so you can represent anything from a
> simple point to full GIS-like layers; you can also represent civic
> addresses (i.e., postal addresses) directly.

surely, with its vast talents, the ietf can make this more complex.

after all, look at the inflate-and-embellish stupidity that made the
simple idea of bgp communities for data collecion, completely ueless,
draft-meyer-collection-communities-00.txt

</sarcasm>

i just wanna deal with a cidr block for stupid simple thing, not boil
the ocean.  and we have LOC RRs.  no brilliance or inventiveness needed.

randy