New netblock Geolocate wrong (Google)

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Jan 19 02:45:27 UTC 2010

> Something that I have often wondered is how folks would feel about
> publishing some sort of geo information in reverse DNS (something like
> LOC records, with whatever precision you like) -- this would allow the
> folks that geo stuff to automagically provide the best answer, and
> because you control the record, you can specify whatever resolution /
> precision you like.

yes!

and smb sez:

> geolocation is often used for certain forms of access control and
> policy enforcement.  For example: "Regular Season Local Live Blackout:
> All live, regular season games available via MLB.TV, MLB.com At Bat
> 2009 and certain other MLB.com subscription services are subject to
> local blackouts. Such live games will be blacked out in each
> applicable Club's home television territory, regardless of whether
> that Club is playing at home or away."

first, i don't think the proportion of in-addr hackers is anywhere near
the basic inaccuracy rate of geo-loc.  so may not be of big concern.  if
it is of big concern, those concerned should not believe the in-addr
hack.

given that our westin, ashburn, and infomart equipment is often
considered to be in tokyo, this would be a big win.

randy