Are IPv6-only Internet services viable today?

Durand, Alain alain_durand at cable.comcast.com
Sun Jan 17 15:04:32 UTC 2010

On 1/16/10 10:52 AM, "Cam Byrne" <cb.list6 at gmail.com> wrote:

>A dual-stack capable host like windows 7 does not ensure any ipv6 network
access beyond the local LAN, especially given todays ipv4-only >service
dominance.  There are various ways to translate or tunnel to solve this problem,
connecting v6 and v4 islands, including nat64 and ds-lite

===> Well, it all depends on which applications are in use. If the app
running on the windows 7 side only works in IPv4 or if the app on the other
side is only serving IPv4, there is little choice but to tunnel IPv4 over
IPv6 in the middle.

See, for many years, when we were thinking about IPv4/IPv6 transition, we
looked at it a stack issue. I think we were missing something. We now have
seen tons of IPv6 capable stacks (Win XP, Vista, 7, MacOS, Linux,
Solaris,...) and still very little apps that take advantage of this, either
on the client side, or on the content side. Just ask how many of the
100,000+ apps on the iPhone are IPv6 ready... Btw, on the content side, the
situation is quite complex too, because it is not just about configuring
apache for IPv6, this is about having a load balancing, content delivery,
monitoring,... solution in place.

What DS-lite gives you is the ability to de-couple the deployment of the
network (including the host stacks) with IPv6 from the deployment of the
applications with IPv6. I do believe there is a lot of value in this.