more news from Google

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Fri Jan 15 23:05:07 UTC 2010

On Jan 13, 2010, at 8:31 AM, Anthony Uk wrote:

> The ability to automatically discern users' political positions from
> their inbox is not one that any email provider reasonably needs.

I'm not Chinese, but putting myself in their position...

I would be surprised if they were trying to determine anyone's
political positions. Google's observation that the targeted parties
were dissidents suggests that they are known to be dissidents without
looking at their gmail content. If I were of the specified mindset and
were looking at their mail, I think I might be mapping dissident
networks to identify potential dissidents I was unaware of and looking
to see if they mentioned any specific plans or pointed to specific
content.