Cogent Outage?

Knight, Brian Brian.Knight at us.mizuho-sc.com
Thu Jan 14 17:56:16 UTC 2010

We lost access through Cogent in the Chicago area for a small number of
sites.  Some partners also reported problems getting to us.

Cogent's updated status page includes the Jersey fiber cut and a routing
problem:

"Customers with traffic going through or on the east coast may be
experiencing packet loss and higher than normal latency due to a fiber cut in
New Jersey. Splice crews are at the site. There is no ETR at this time. The
Cogent ticket to reference for this issue is HD2082680. A separate issue has
been identified for customers in Toronto and Chicago. This appears to be a
routing issue and the Cogent NOC is looking into the problem. There is no ETR
at this time. The Cogent ticket to reference for this issue is HD2082851 "

> Joe Johnson
> Chief Information Officer
> Riverside Consulting Group, Ltd.
> Phone: 708.442.6033 x3456
> Fax: 708.442.9722
> joe at riversidecg.com
> www.riversidecg.com

-Brian Knight
Sr. Network Engineer
Mizuho Securities USA Inc
http://www.mizuho-sc.com/

* Please note that I do not speak for my employer - only for myself.

** The below disclaimer is standard; the reader may consider addressees,
mailing list members, and archive viewers to be intended recipients.

CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail, including its contents and attachments,
if any, are confidential. It is neither an offer to buy or sell,
nor a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, any securities or
any related financial instruments mentioned in it. If you are not
the named recipient please notify the sender and immediately delete
it. You may not disseminate, distribute, or forward this e-mail
message or disclose its contents to anybody else. Unless otherwise
indicated, copyright and any other intellectual property rights in
its contents are the sole property of Mizuho Securities USA Inc.
     E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
error-free. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any
errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as
a result of e-mail transmission.  If verification is required
please request a hard-copy version.
     Although we routinely screen for viruses, addressees should
check this e-mail and any attachments for viruses. We make no
representation or warranty as to the absence of viruses in this
e-mail or any attachments. Please note that to ensure regulatory
compliance and for the protection of our customers and business, we
may monitor and read e-mails sent to and from our server(s).