RFID in datacenter (was Re: Default Passwords for World Wide Packets/Lightning Edge Equipment)

George Imburgia nanog at armorfirewall.com
Wed Jan 13 18:51:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010, Barry Shein wrote:

> The big advantage of RFIDs is that you don't need line of sight access
> like you do with bar codes, they use RF, radio frequency.

Which is also a big disadvantage in a datacenter. Ever tried to use a
radio in one?

The RF noise generated by digital equipment seriously erodes signal
quality. Considering the relatively weak signal returned from RFID tags,
I'd be surprised if you'd get any kind of useful range.

Has anybody tried it out?