Default Passwords for World Wide Packets/Lightning Edge Equipment

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jan 13 18:08:23 UTC 2010

We have an internally written app that allows us to either find where in
the data center a server is, or pull up a rack and see what's in it.  It
wouldn't be a very big leap to assign each rack a bar code and have an app
(you could even write it as a smartphone app) that scans the bar code and
looks up what's in the rack.  Of course, without access to (authentication
is required) the web app front end for the database of what's where, just
scanning the bar code wouldn't get you anything but a rack serial
number...so you don't have to worry about random people scanning the rack
bar code.

BTW...a friend who works for a mostly failed .com patented something like
this some years ago.  I think his patent was actually for a system in
which a bar code on the front of a server could be scanned by a portable
device, and you'd get current system health information for that system.