SORBS on autopilot?

Joel M Snyder Joel.Snyder at Opus1.COM
Tue Jan 12 20:27:59 UTC 2010

Just a couple of corrections to two of the posts in this thread:

 >I simply have some problems
> with /this/ current incarnation of a best practice, and I was querying whether
> it had applicability outside of the SORBS/Trend Micro world.

I think you are mixing/confusing SORBS and MAPS.  MAPS was bought by
Trend and is run as a service based on subscription fees.  SORBS is
whatever it is.  If you don't like SORBS, that's great, but don't tar
Trend with that brush.

 >2) Your reply to Dave's post is not useful.  It's not even useful if
 >you consider it pure hyperbole for effect.  There are many ways to
 >reduce spam, the "single most effective" does not stop even 50%.

Actually, that's not true.  I don't want to get into an argument about
"single most effective," but I can guarantee that using a good
reputation service will block more than 50% of the incoming spam to your
network.  The leading ones normally hit the 80% range.

In fact, many of the popular anti-spam appliances are completely
miserable at the content filter end which is applied post-reputation
service; without reputation filtering, they wouldn't be worth using.

(My information is based on monthly testing of anti-spam appliances we
have conducted for the past 5 years.  For example, this month we are
looking at 43 different appliances and 25 reputation sevices)

jms

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One       Phone: +1 520 324 0494