SORBS on autopilot?

JC Dill jcdill.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 18:56:01 UTC 2010

Jed Smith wrote:
> Depending on the chain of delegation, a server operator may not have access to
> modify his PTR record and might not be able to change it.

It's a common belief among network operators that if a "server operator"
doesn't have access/ability to modify the PTR record for a server, it's
a good sign that the server shouldn't be used to send email, but instead
should send email thru an email server provided by their upstream access
provider.

The people who manage those servers, who can't or won't fix the PTR *or*
send email thru an email server provided by their access provider, think
it is critically important that the rest of the internet receive their
missives.  They are mistaken.  Their missives come from "a bad
neighborhood" (IPs with PTR formats that are strongly associated with
botnets) where the odds of any email being desired by the recipient are
extremely low.  If they want their email to avoid being treated as spam
then they need to move to a better neighborhood (fix the PTR) or send
from a server located in a better neighborhood (a server with a correct
PTR for a mail server).

Endlessly whining "I wanna, I wanna, I can't, You should, I wanna" over
and over isn't going to change anything.  Other networks aren't going to
change how they filter based on PTR for someone who can't properly
assign the PTR for their mail server.

jc