SORBS on autopilot?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Jan 12 17:37:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:51:47 EST, Jed Smith said:

> The vibe I got from a number of administrators I talked to about it was "why
> would a standards document assume an IPv4/IPv6 unicast address is a residential
> customer with a modem, forcing those with allocations to prove that they are
> not residentially allocated rather than the other way around?"

What percent of allocated globally routed IP addresses are residential endpoints,
and what percent are in data centers?  What's the better base assumption if
your goal is "I don't want to talk to address ranges that are full of botted
boxes"?  There's a *reason* why "default deny" is a well-known security policy.