qwest outage no notice

Mike mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com
Sat Jan 9 15:00:42 UTC 2010

Paul Wall wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 5:04 AM, Mike <mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com> wrote:
>
>> We just had a qwest outage of about 2 mins at 1:41am pst. When I called to
>> report it I was told it was a 200+ emergency software upgrade due to a
>> security concern, and that we will get a notice later after the fact.
>>

> That's not a maintenance, that's an outage.
>
> I hope everybody impacted on this list is claiming SLA.

Qwest NEVER EVER provides SLA adjustments, no longer how long it's down
or what their own role in it being down is. They toss it from department
to department and then hand down judgments that 'we're not providing
credits' and that's that. So in the three years we've had qwest we've
had probably 10 major service impacting failures and at least 3 over 6
hours each, and a 9 month period where the (ssshhh!! secret!!) mpls
tunnel they put our 45mbs 'clear channel ds3' on was oversubscribed with
another user, resulting on 600+ms latencies at random times and they
refused to accept our mrtg and smokeping traces showing the problem. No
adjustments at all, just pay up, and oh we'll get around to that someday
when it suits us but you have nothing to say about it that we care about.

</rant>