I don't need no stinking firewall!

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sat Jan 9 00:52:01 UTC 2010

Dobbins, Roland wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2010, at 9:02 PM, bill from home wrote:
>
>> And maybe there is no way to tell, but I feel I need to ask the question.
>
> Situationally-dependent; the only way to really tell, not just theorize, is to test the firewall to destruction during a maintenance window (or one like it, in the lab).

see my post in the subject, a reasonably complete performance report for
the device is a useful place to start. if you know what the maximum
session rate and state table size for the device are, you have a pretty
good idea at what rate of state instantiation it will break. rather
frequently it's more than two orders of magnitude lower than the peak
forwarding rate.