I don't need no stinking firewall!

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Fri Jan 8 21:40:49 UTC 2010

bill from home wrote:
> All,
>    This thread certainly has been educational, and has changed my
> perception of what an appropriate outward facing architecture should be.
> But seldom do I have the luxury of designing this from scratch, and also
> the networks I administer are "small business's".
> My question is at what size connection does a state table become
> vulnerable, are we talking 1mb dsl's with a soho firewall?

some numbers,

100Mb/s will carry 220Kpps worth of 64byte packets, if this is a fairly
simple syn attack and your firewall can support 100k new connections a
second (that's a fairly fast firewall), you need less than 50Mb/s to
nuke it... the maximum size of the state table on a linux derived system
with 4GB of ram is north of a million connections so assuming the
session rate of the dos is trackable your firewall needs to start aging
connections out in an accelerated fashion after about 4 seconds
otherwise you're similarly hosed...

given the same firewall can probably forward 2-3mpps when it comes to
small packet you run out of state long before your run out of forwarding
horsepower.

Some kind of firewall device that you might put in front of a business
cable connection, or fractional ethernet is like to support a much lower
connection rate embedded Pentium equivalent or low to mid-range mips
might support a rate of 2-10k connections per second at which point the
thresh-hold for dosing it based on session rate is quite a bit lower
(quite a bit lower than that of a webserver or dekstop pc for example).
i.e. if 10kpps of dos will take it out that's like 5Mb/s on a device
that might other wise be able to forward 300-500Mb/s interface to
interface using large packet.