I don't need no stinking firewall!

Arie Vayner arievayner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 08:21:34 UTC 2010

What is nice about load balancers is that if you design your solution
correctly, you can scale them in a very nice way. Things like direct server
return, where only the requests hit the load balancer, but the replies
(which are usually larger) just route back directly to the client can free
up resources on the load balancer to handle more complex policies.
This also reduces the imposed symmetry for routing that firewalls bring to
the table.

Further on, if you want to really protect against a real DDoS you would most
likely would have to look at a really distributed solution, where the
different geographical load balancing solutions come into play.

Arie