Experiences with Comcast Ethernet/Transit service

Brent Jones brent at servuhome.net
Fri Jan 8 07:40:57 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 1:10 AM, Brandon Galbraith
<brandon.galbraith at gmail.com> wrote:
> We're looking at using Comcast's (business) transit and private ethernet
> services at several client locations and I wanted to see what experiences
> others have had regarding this. Off-list replies are preferred.
>
> Thanks,
> -brandon
>
> --
> Brandon Galbraith
> Mobile: 630.400.6992

This was a timely question, as we've have a GigE fiber line with them
for 6 months now.
Largely, the link performs at ~999Mbit 99% of the time  :)
However, we've had two issues with connectivity that seem to originate
from their network. The link will show up, but both sides of our fiber
will show 0 frames received, and lots of transmit errors. It takes a
call into the Comcast NOC each time for them to resolve it, but
they've been silent on what may actually be going on. These
interruptions last anywhere from 30 minutes, to the last one almost 7
hours (luckily over a weekend).

Benefits to this, being Metro Ethernet, they do support tagged VLAN's,
so cost to entry is low in terms of equipment and setup/support.

Our link goes between downtown Portland, OR, to across the river to
East Vancouver and Mill Plain.

--
Brent Jones
brent at servuhome.net