rj21/centronics cable mounting

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Thu Jan 7 15:49:01 UTC 2010

> Dear William,
>
> >> I'm searching "something", to secure mount/connect a rj21 cable to a device.
> >> I have a angled plug like this:
> >> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:RJ21-female-connector.jpg
>
> > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/i/000001-100000/55001-60000/55501-56000/55735.jpg
> >
> > http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6080010/description.html
> > http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6080010.pdf
>
> exactly
>
> > I don't know where to get one after-market, no, but you could
> > conceivably buy some old gear and extract them.
>
> found - keyword "was" bracket:
> http://www.connectworld.net/cgi-bin/dataw/CN50-VEL

Caution, caution...  when using those, velcro *first*, tightly, and then
attempt to wiggle/remove the connector.  It's only good when you can't
*actually* move the connector (much).  Only then should you tighten the
screw (if you're so inclined/holes allow/etc).

Personally, while I like velcro, I was not always impressed with the
reliability of those sorts of brackets.  You can get better reliability
by taking a tie wrap base (maybe T&B TC102 or something like that) and
screwing it to the side of the socket the wire exits the plug from.
Then you screw the plug in with its one screw, and take a zip tie on
the other end, and you're very, very securely fastened without any hope
of inadvertent loosening.  This has the advantage of being visually
verifiable, rather than the "try wiggling it" method that's mandatory
with the velcro.

... JG