D/DoS mitigation hardware/software needed.

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Tue Jan 5 05:47:05 UTC 2010

On Jan 5, 2010, at 12:39 PM, Stefan Fouant wrote:

> The trick is to try to automate as much around the process as possible - I've worked in environments where just making little changes to incident handling response methods reduced the time to mitigate an attack from hours to minutes, all the while still requiring an operator to press the "big red button" to offramp and enable the mitigation.

Concur 100% - and when the end-customer is under attack and screaming, this reduction in time to detect/classify/traceback/mitigate makes all the difference.

Your very salient comments highlight the paramount importance of preparation as the key enabling phase of the six-phase security incident-handling methodology:

1.	Preparation.

2.	Detection/identification.

3.	Classification.

4.	Traceback.

5.	Reaction.

6.	Post-mortem (feeding lessons learned back into the Preparation phase).

    Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.

                        -- H.L. Mencken