dark fiber and sfp distance limitations

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Sat Jan 2 18:42:00 UTC 2010

On 02/01/2010 18:37, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> I'm a big believer in running my own tests when possible, and not just
> relying on $provider's word.  It also allows me to verify what their
> engineering reports tell me about the condition of a span.

+1

There's nothing like having hard data to shove in front of the noses of
connectivity providers (whether colo / cross-connect or metro dark fibre
providers) when unexplained problems suddenly start happening for no
apparent reason.  "This is what it was like before and this is what it's
like now, and this ledge here shows that the problem is on a segment that
you manage. Please explain".

Nick