[Fwd: [members-discuss] [ncc-announce] RIPE NCC Position On The ITU IPv6 Group]

Phil Regnauld regnauld at nsrc.org
Sat Feb 27 04:04:12 UTC 2010

Nick Hilliard (nick) writes:

> And the politicians.  Yes, they will erupt in hitherto unseen
> outbursts of self-righteous indignation at the stupid internet
> engineers who let this problem happen in the first place and who
> made no provision whatsoever for viable alternatives,

	Um, not to be the party pooper of your fire-and-brimstone scenario,
	but IPv6 deployment has taken quite a bit longer than expected.

	I'm not saying that political incentives (carrot & stick) or government
	regulations in the line of "implement IPv6 before X/Y or else..." have
	had any effect, except maybe in Japan: look how long it took for the
	EU commission to jump on the bandwagon, for instance (or for that matter,
	how long it took any government to take IP seriously).

	But if was asked why IPv6 hasn't been deployed earlier, I'd be hard
	pressed to come up with a simple answer.    "It wasn't ready"
	is probably not considered good enough for an elected official.

	BOFH excuse generator anyone ?

> Oh, it will be fun.

	Yay.