[Fwd: [members-discuss] [ncc-announce] RIPE NCC Position On The ITU IPv6 Group]

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 15:40:26 UTC 2010

> Interesting, why is it causing quite a stir? Is it because they are trying to allocate a large
> pool of addresses?

ITU is trying to stay relevant and justify its existence, over the
years they have been loosing their grip over telecom and networking
standards.

This last move to grab a chunk of IPv6 address space and become a
registry does not have any valid justification and some of the reasons
they have been crying out load at the IGF and ICANN meetings, all
circle around ICANN's monopoly and USG control of some network
resources.

There is an "ecosystem" that grew up around these organizations where
too many people/corporations are milking from and everybody wants to
be in control of  (or have a part of it)  the cows.

I don't know if already happened but ethernet (local, metro, wide) and
TCP/IP are probably today the most deployed data communication
technologies, add VoIP, keep few of the encoding and mobile (for a
while) standards and I guess nobody needs ITU-T anymore, or do we ?

Cheers
Jorge