Email Portability Approved by Knesset Committee

Mark Scholten mark at streamservice.nl
Tue Feb 23 07:35:58 UTC 2010

And now think about it with SPF records (and checks for SPF records). All
outgoing mail should also go via the OLD provider. Including domainnames
(for email) would be the solution for this. In other cases only (a) seems to
be available. Maybe a payment between the old and new provider is the
solution for it. How to do this if the old provider is stopping? It is a
realistic possibility that they stop.
> It would be a conflict and a potential dilution of one's mark.
>
> Particularly, as others have suggested, if that product implies
> availability, spam filtering, support, storage, recovery in the event
> of lost storage, TOS, etc.
Just mention that this law is above the other law regarding Trademarks and
you will need to follow this law. What if a domain get listed because a new
provider doesn't use a spam filter on outgoing messages, how to get delisted
for the old provider? Some lists might be based on the from header in
emails.

> In contrast, a phone number has no such trademark implications for the
> provider, one generally doesn't say "oh, 555-555-1234, an AT&T phone
> number!" Perhaps it's possible to know this, but it's not common
> knowledge, it doesn't generally represent the public's view of the
> AT&T mark.
>
> I don't think the law would be workable in the US.
>
> I'd be surprised if the law doesn't run into similar problems in
> Israel.

Regards,
Mark