Spamhaus and Barracuda Networks BRBL

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Mon Feb 22 20:18:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 14:40 -0500, Dave Sparro wrote:
> Their list, their rules; but it is indeed strange to me.

Not too strange: Little Bobby probably does one or two jobs and goes
away, leaving the system to run by itself. the SpamAssassin people
receive nothing from his choice of software.
If Bob decides he wants to buy a commercial appliance from a
profit-making company (presumption being made here) who are in turn
making significant use of a "free" resource such as the SpamHaus lists
in their appliance's configuration, and those appliances become very
popular (as I understand they might be), then the infrastructure costs
associated with the appliance are shifted away from both the vendor and
the end-user onto the provider.

If said provider gets a bit shirty about this and decides that they're
going to analyse and block traffic from those appliances if they haven't
paid for a service...

If you stand back and look at this dispassionately then I would expect a
large majority of this list would probably act in a similar way (or
their companies or employers would) given a similar situation with their
services.

TANSTAAFL. Really. Someone has to pay for the meal; why should it be the
chef?

Graeme