Spamhaus and Barracuda Networks BRBL

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Mon Feb 22 20:13:58 UTC 2010

On 2/22/2010 1:40 PM, Dave Sparro wrote:
> On 2/22/2010 12:40 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
>>
>> Is it your position that, as a vendor of antispam services, nobody
>> else should offer their services for a fee?
>>
>> That would be strange indeed
>
> Actually I can sympathize with Barracuda on this one:
> Bob's Widgets is running thier own mail server for their 25 employees.
> They decide the need better spam filters.
> They can hire Bob's nephew to drop in a Linux server running Postfix and
> SpamAssassan.   In this situation it's OK for Little Bobby to configure
> the Spamhaus RBLs for use on this solution.
> They could also hire Barracuda to do essentially the same thing
> (assumption based on source code published at
> http://source.barracuda.com/source/ ).  In this case Bob's Widgets is
> not allowed to use Spamhaus.

The issue is not whether Bob's can use the list to turn a profit, but
whether Barracuda can.

--
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to
take everything you have."

Remember:  The Ark was built by amateurs, the Titanic by professionals.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs