Spamhaus and Barracuda Networks BRBL

Dave Sparro dsparro at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 19:40:52 UTC 2010

On 2/22/2010 12:40 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> Is it your position that, as a vendor of antispam services, nobody
> else should offer their services for a fee?
>
> That would be strange indeed

Actually I can sympathize with Barracuda on this one:
Bob's Widgets is running thier own mail server for their 25 employees.
They decide the need better spam filters.
They can hire Bob's nephew to drop in a Linux server running Postfix and
SpamAssassan.   In this situation it's OK for Little Bobby to configure
the Spamhaus RBLs for use on this solution.
They could also hire Barracuda to do essentially the same thing
(assumption based on source code published at
http://source.barracuda.com/source/ ).  In this case Bob's Widgets is
not allowed to use Spamhaus.

Their list, their rules; but it is indeed strange to me.

--
Dave