Email Portability Approved by Knesset Committee

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Mon Feb 22 18:51:25 UTC 2010

On 2/22/2010 9:29 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> Am I missing something?  All the ISP has to do is to provision a pop3
> / imap / webmail mailbox for that user and keep it around.

As a permanent requirement for all accounts, including changes as the user moves
around -- long-term churn is 100% within relatively few years-- and to expect
all domain owners who originally host a mailbox to then do this forwarding admin
and ops competently, this is going to be a serious problem.

The scheme is certain to be quite unreliable along multiple axes.

Worse, I had not thought of Sheldon's excellent point about negative reputation
blowback on the domain owner.

Per the followup comments on this, the domain owner might be able to do some
things in domain name usage and IP Address assignment to mitigate this, the
initial and on-going costs of getting this right and the likelihood of
eliminating all blowback are problematic.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking