Email Portability Approved by Knesset Committee

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Mon Feb 22 17:35:37 UTC 2010

On 2/22/2010 11:28 AM, Joe Abley wrote:

> On 2010-02-22, at 10:09, Gadi Evron wrote:
>
>> The email portability bill has just been approved by the Knesset's
>> committee for legislation, sending it on its way for the full
>> legislation process of the Israeli parliament.
>>
>> While many users own a free email account, many in Israel still
>> make use of their ISP's email service.
>
> Just out of interest, are those ISP-tied e-mail addresses always run
> by the ISP, or are they occasionally outsourced in the manner of
> Rogers' (Canada) or BT's (UK) respective deals with Yahoo! (US)?
>
> It'd be an interesting twist if contracts between e-mail providers
> outside Israel and ISPs inside suddenly made this requirement for
> e-mail address portability leak beyond Israel's borders.

I have been wondering about that too--the Internet may be the only
artifact of human existence that is generally border insensitive (with
exceptions we don't need to enumerate).

I note that quite a few country TLDs are hosted in other countries.
Whose laws prevail?

--
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to
take everything you have."

Remember:  The Ark was built by amateurs, the Titanic by professionals.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs