Slightly OT. Good IMAP search tool?

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Sat Feb 20 20:36:58 UTC 2010

On 20/02/10 12:15 -0800, Mike Lyon wrote:
>On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Dan White <dwhite at olp.net> wrote:
>> On 20/02/10 11:56 -0800, Mike Lyon wrote:
>>
>>> Howdy Folks,
>>>
>>> What are people using these days to suck down an IMAP account, search it
>>> and
>>> then export the search results? Any suggestions.
>>>

>> I don't know your specific need, but it is usually far more efficient (to
>> what degree depends on the IMAP server) to perform your searches via the
>> IMAP SEARCH command and let the server feed you the appropriate emails
>> containing the keyword(s) you're searching for.
>
> That would be what I am looking for :)
>
> Recommend any good tools for that?

IMAP Webmail clients (like squirrelmail) have build in server side
searching. Many IMAP clients do as well.

The Perl imap module should be verify flexible in performing the search and
letting you manipulate the results programmatically.

You could also do it via telnet/nc and script the search and fetch commands
via shell script. See RFC 3501.

--
Dan White