Spamhaus...

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Sat Feb 20 15:01:18 UTC 2010

I don't know WTH is up with your large Cc: list but I've removed it to keep the conversation here, where it started. More below --

On Feb 19, 2010, at 12:53 PM, Dean Anderson wrote:

> So you should think that its ok for blacklists to charge money for
> things they got for free?

In the case of Spamhaus, yes, I find it acceptable to pay them for the service they are providing me because I find it very useful, and with the understanding that they are non-profit, have costs related to providing the service and provide a free service for people with less volume than me. With regards to other lists, I would say that it depends on infrastructure costs they incur to provide that service, regardless of whether the content is community provided or not. The information may have been obtained freely but there are costs to disseminate it. Do you think that they should absorb all the costs of providing it as a free service?

--
Marc