Spamhaus...

Matthew Black black at csulb.edu
Wed Feb 17 23:51:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 17:32:51 -0500
  "Laczo, Louis" <Louis.Laczo at PaeTec.com> wrote:
>Folks,
>
> I'm looking for comments / suggestions / opinions from any providers that
>have been contacted by spamhaus about excessive queries originating from
>their DNS resolvers, typically, as a proxy for customers. I know that
>certain large DNS providers (i.e. google and level3) have either been
>banned or have voluntarily blocked spamhaus queries by their resolvers.
>We're currently in discussion with spamhaus and I wanted to see how others
>may have handled this.
>
> Thanks!
> --Lou

When we licensed Spamhaus a few years back, they required us to set-up a DNS
slave server instead of querying against their public server. They had a
special DNS client that allowed partial zone updates. Turns out we
downloaded huge hourly updates.

We no longer use Spamhaus, relying instead upon Sender Base Reputation
Scores (IronPort).

matthew black
e-mail postmaster
california state university, long beach