BIRD vs Quagga

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 06:18:58 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 1:03 AM, Joe Abley <jabley at hopcount.ca> wrote:

> On 2010-02-16, at 22:00, Christopher Morrow wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:50 AM, Joe Abley <jabley at hopcount.ca> wrote:
>>>

>>> I am somewhat intrigued at this network you mention with which people have practical experience that has more nodes than the Internet does, though. That'd be quite a network.
>>
>> what's the current estimate on PSTN endpoints? 2-3B globally?
>
> True, I was thinking about packet-switched networks, since it always seems to me that > a circuit-switched network is only as big at any time as the number of circuits that exist,

I almost made a comment that the PSTN is really (as far as routing is
concerned) lots of disparate networks with no 'global view' of the
problem. It can be argued (and randy likely will, or bmanning even)
that the Internet doesn't have a single view either... There's loop
protection in the routing data, which the PSTN doesn't really have.
(which is a side problem)

> not the number of possible termination points for circuits. Quite possibly I'm just
> smoking crack, however.

doubtful... probably me missing a terminology collision :( It also
depends on how Tomas was defining his problem.

I still say the PSTN and Internet are apples/oranges in so many ways
you can't use them in an comparision.

-chris