History of 4.2.2.2. What's the story?

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Wed Feb 17 05:42:26 UTC 2010

On 2010-02-16, at 20:35, Frank Bulk wrote:

> Our nameservers handle both the authoritative and recursive traffic,

As general advice, and as an aside, don't do that. (Aside from anything else, you're inserting authoritative answers in a lookup path that might not be found by a parent delegation, e.g. if you host a domain for someone who subsequently takes it elsewhere without telling you.)

> If I understand your second sentence correctly, then yes, our DHCP server
> hands out the DNS servers, of which one of the three is outside our own
> network.

Thanks for the counter-example.

Joe