History of 4.2.2.2. What's the story?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed Feb 17 03:33:27 UTC 2010

On Feb 16, 2010, at 10:24 PM, Frank Bulk wrote:

> We do.  It's at our upstream provider, just in case we had an upstream
> connectivity issue or some internal meltdown that prevented those in the
> outside world to hit our (authoritative) DNS servers.  Of course, that's
> most helpful for DNS records that resolve to IPs *outside* our network.

What you describe - authorities used by people off your network to resolve A records with IP addresses outside your network - is not what Joe was describing.  What the recursive name server your end users queried to resolve names, the IP address in their desktop's control panel, outside your network?

I can see a small ISP using its upstream's recursive name server.  But to the rest of the world, most small ISPs look like a part of their upstream's network.

--
TTFN,
patrick