Recommendations for router with routed copper gig-e ports?

Graham Farrar GFarrar at networkhardware.com
Tue Feb 16 16:47:04 UTC 2010

Some different router options  Here are three, each w/ different levels of capability:

Option #1 - CISCO3845 (3RU tall)
1x CISCO3845
2x MEM3800-512D
2x HWIC-1GE-SFP
1x GLC-SX-MM
This will provide 4x GbE ports, which will fill the minimum need as described below.

Option #2 - CISCO7204VXR (3RU tall)
1x CISCO7204VXR
1x NPE-G2
1x C7200-I/O-GE+E
2x PA-GE
2x PWR-7200-AC
This will provide 6x GbE ports (though 3x will be fiber only - this is a good option in terms of performance, so I still put it out there, as it may be possible to work around).  Performance wise, this is about 4x as powerful as the 3845 above.  If we need an in-between option, replace the NPE-G2 with an NPE-G1 - the G1 is about 2x as powerful as the 3845.

Option #3 - Cat6500 (4RU tall)
1x WS-C6503-E
2x PWR-1400-AC
2x PEM-20A-AC
1x WS-SUP720-3BXL
1x WS-X6516-GE-TX
The maximum performance option, the 6503-E here is capable of 40Gbps/slot (as configured, the 16 port GbE card gets 8Gbps of throughput).  If DC power is needed, you can change to the 7603-S chassis, which is the same form factor, just available with high-output DC power (which would be needed here).

For all 3 options, DC power is available if needed.

Graham Farrar         +1 805 690.3714
AIM IM: GrahamNHR / Fax: 805 690.1825
Network Hardware Resale, LLC.