DNSSEC Readiness

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Feb 16 14:22:38 UTC 2010

In message <4B7A502F.8000204 at knownelement.com>, Charles N Wyble writes:
> > Repeat for IPv6.
> >
> > dig -6 ns . +norec @l.root-servers.net
> > dig -6 ns . +dnssec +cd +norec @l.root-servers.net
> > dig -6 any . +dnssec +cd +norec @l.root-servers.net
> > dig -6 any . +dnssec +cd +norec @l.root-servers.net +vc
> >
> > Mark
>
> Thank you. That's a nice quick/dirty test.
>
> All 4 commands worked.
>
> If folks are curious, my setup is Ubuntu 9.10 client, Ubuntu 9.10 server
> running bind and a cisco 1841 running 12.4(18). I don't have a Windows
> box handy to test on. How would one test with nslookup anyway? Or does
> it only matter if the local DNS server can do the lookup and clients
> will just work? Though one would still need to test from Windows if you
> have AD for DNS I suppose. *shrugs*
>
> Ok.... that's the client side.

That's a path test.  Next are system tests.  You should get answers
to all of below and you should have "ad" set in the "se" query.

named.test.conf:

trusted-keys {
	dlv.isc.org. 257 3 5 "BEAAAAPHMu/5onzrEE7z1egmhg/WPO0+juoZrW3euWEn4MxDCE1+lLy2brhQv5rN32RKtMzX6Mj70jdzeND4XknW58dnJNPCxn8+jAGl2FZLK8t+1uq4W+nnA3qO2+DL+k6BD4mewMLbIYFwe0PG73Te9fZ2kJb56dhgMde5ymX4BI/oQ+cAK50/xvJv00Frf8kw6ucMTwFlgPe+jnGxPPEmHAte/URkY62ZfkLoBAADLHQ9IrS2tryAe7mbBZVcOwIeU/Rw/mRx/vwwMCTgNboMQKtUdvNXDrYJDSHZws3xiRXF1Rf+al9UmZfSav/4NWLKjHzpT59k/VStTDN0YUuWrBNh";
};

options {
	listen-on port 4444 { 127.0.0.1; };
	dnssec-enable yes;
	dnssec-validation yes;
	dnssec-lookaside . trust-anchor dlv.isc.org;
};

dig -p 4444 @127.0.0.1 +dnssec se soa
dig -p 4444 @127.0.0.1 +dnssec .
dig -p 4444 @127.0.0.1 +dnssec www.microsoft.com

Once you are confident you can add these to you normal named.conf.
See https://www.isc.org/solutions/dlv for more details and subscribe
to dlv-announce at isc.org so you will get reminders about when to
update the trusted-keys statement.

When the root is signed you will want to add a trusted-keys clause
for it as well.  I wouldn't suggest tracking more trusted keys than
that for the moment.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org