in-addr.arpa server problems for europe?

Steven Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Feb 15 18:10:21 UTC 2010

On Feb 15, 2010, at 1:01 PM, Seth Mattinen wrote:

> On 2/15/10 9:21 AM, Tony Finch wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, Mark Scholten wrote:
>>>
>>> I've seen problems that are only there because of DNSSEC, so if there is a
>>> problem starting with trying to disable DNSSEC could be a good idea. As long
>>> as not all rootzones are signed I don't see a good reason to use DNSSEC at
>>> the moment.
>>
>> You realise that two of them are signed now and the rest will be signed by
>> 1st July?
>>

> Which means now is a good time to find and fix brokenness, not hope that
> DNSSEC will go away.

Right.

Apart from implementations that just can't handle funky RR types in the response -- firewalls, perhaps?  see RFC 2979, especially the transparency rule -- a lot of the trouble is caused by the reply size.  The code should either use EDNS0 or fall back to TCP -- and lots of folks have broken firewall configs that don't allow TCP 53, even though it's been in the spec since 1984 or thereabouts.