Denic (.de) blocking 6to4 nameservers (since begin feb 2010)

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Feb 15 16:03:26 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 08:16:56AM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:

> If you can't get native IPv6 then use a tunneled service like
> Hurricane Electric's (HE.NET).  It is qualitatively better than
> 6to4 as it doesn't require random nodes on the net to be performing
> translation services for you which you can't track down the
> administrators of.  You can get /48's from HE.

Our external IPv6 web accesses are still very low, but have grown
linearly over the last five years from 0.1% in 2005/06 to 0.5% of
total web traffic now.   Internally of course our figures are higher.

Of that IPv6 traffic, 1% comes from 2002::/16 prefixes.   Even less
from Teredo prefixes.   I guess we could run stats against known TB
prefixes to determine who is using those.

--
Tim