Time out for a terminology check--"resolver" vs "server".

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Mon Feb 15 00:02:48 UTC 2010

I thought I understood but from recent contexts here it is clear that I
do not.

I thought a resolver was code in your local machine that provide
hostname (FQDN?), given address; or address, given host name (with
assists to build FQDN).

And I thought a "server" was a separate program, might be on the same
machine, might be on another machine (might be on the local net, might
be distant) that the resolver code called for information that was not
in local cache.

Just what is the straight scoop?
--
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to
take everything you have."

Remember:  The Ark was built by amateurs, the Titanic by professionals.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs