CYMRU Bogon Peering

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Fri Feb 12 23:03:12 UTC 2010

Seth Mattinen wrote:
> On 2/12/2010 13:47, Tim Wilde wrote:
>> On 2/12/2010 4:21 PM, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
>>>     I've a question for the CYMRU Team ,  My reasoning for posting here
>>> is to get a much wide knowledge base .
>>>     Does or Is the 'Bogon Peering' Product(?) ,  Only at the IANA->RIR
>>> allocations level ?   F.E.:  IANA has allocated 1.0.0.0/8 to RIPE .
>>>     Or
>>>     Does the product also include the actual remaining non-allocated
>>> space at the RIR->EU level ? (**)   F.E: RIPE has allocated 1.0.1.0/24
>>> to anubusstupidity, inc.
>> Jim & All,
>>
>> The current bogon reference projects we have available only include the
>> first of your examples - netblocks which have not been allocated by IANA
>> to an RIR.  However, we are currently in a beta testing phase of a
>> similar feed which also includes netblocks that have not yet been
>> allocated or assigned by the RIRs.  We will also be offering the same
>> type of bogon feed for IPv6, something we've been asked about quite a
>> bit recently!
>>

> While I have your attention, I've noticed there's been a bit of
> instability lately with the BGP sessions (in fact one of mine right now
> is down). With 30 routes it's not a big deal to have frequent churn, but
> if you're going to expand that to a larger feed then it could become a
> problem.

What time frame do you determine to be instability? The following is
from a box that has ~25 neighbours. Since the box was reloaded (6w3d
ago), I've had the same uptime with the Team Cymru neighbours as I do
with internal gear. I can't say that I've experienced any instability at
all. It is not uncommon for me to have noticed uptimes well beyond 30w.

trig-2#sh ip bgp sum

Neighbor        V    AS MsgRcvd MsgSent   TblVer  InQ OutQ Up/Down
State/PfxRcd
68.22.187.24    4 65333   81750   65849       67    0    0 6w3d           30
216.165.129.196 4 65333   81748   65849       67    0    0 6w3d           30

trig-2#sh ip bgp nei 68.22.187.24

  Prefix activity:               ----       ----
    Prefixes Current:               0         30 (Consumes 1560 bytes)
    Prefixes Total:                 0         36
    Implicit Withdraw:              0          0
    Explicit Withdraw:              0          6

...snip...

  Connections established 1; dropped 0
  Last reset never

Steve