192.255.103.x

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 03:38:06 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 8:27 PM, Hector Herrera <hectorherrera at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer at hezmatt.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 05:30:11PM -0800, Hector Herrera wrote:
>>> I'm trying to diagnose an issue with 192.255.103.x
>>>
>>> As far as I can tell from IANA, the block 192/8 is allocated to ARIN.
>>> ARIN does not have a record of 192.255.103 being allocated to anybody.
>>>
>>> Here is the issue ... the customer insists that is the correct IP and
>>> for a few hours yesterday, it was actually working.  Their satellite
>>> phone can reach it, but we can't see it advertised today from any
>>> networks.
>>
>> Smells to me like their satphone provider could be doing something dodgy.
>> More info would be handy: what your customer's relationship to that IP block
>> is, and what they think should be available at that IP block.
>>
>> - Matt
>
> According to the customer the IP is at their home network.  They are
> in town for a certain large event *cough*fiverings*cough* and they
> keep insisting (and their home IT department indicates the IP is
> valid).
>
> The customer is now claiming this IP is part of a "hidden" and
> "secret" block of IPs ... How can you have hidden IPs?
>
> Are IANA/ARIN/RIPE allowing certain agencies to receive allocations
> without disclosing them in whois?
>
> Reverse DNS shows nothing as well.
>
> I think I'm just going to chalk this one up to a made up IP block that
> is probably statically routed by their satphone provider.
>
> Thank you all.

What it sounds like is one of the following:

1) They got confused with 192.168.xxx.xxx networks when setting it up.
2) They got 192.255.xx.xx from some group that said they could have it
when they couldn't
3) They grabbed it a long time ago and don't remember they did so.
4) Some combination of the above.

In any of the cases, its their local network which is foo-bared one
way or another. Their local routers must have had a route to it and no
longer does.. getting a traceroute from them or something to show
where their router thinks it should go (or if they have an old one to
show where it was.)

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning