Google to offer fiber to end users

Ken Gilmour ken.gilmour at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 22:44:55 UTC 2010

Maybe they're getting their Ideas from the Irish :). Magnet (www.magnet.ie)
does a similar thing which started over four years ago. They offer fiber to
the home and you can use it for triple-play.

I believe when they started the offering, the bandwidth was (initially
intended to be) limited only by the end user's equipment and they would "pay
as you go" but it appears now as though they have set the limit to 50 Mbps.

There's nothing stopping Google from offering Triple-play with extremely
cheap long-distance calls, Internet, and HDTV. That kind of bandwidth could
easily be utilised, but what next? Google Thin clients? Very exciting!

Regards,

Ken