Insecure Cable networks ?

Truman Boyes truman at suspicious.org
Sat Feb 6 06:58:30 UTC 2010

On 6/02/2010, at 1:43 PM, Jorge Amodio wrote:

<snip>
> fired nmap, tried several 10/24 networks and just playing by hand
> found hundreds of devices and every single one I tried default password
> it worked, not only modems, also modem/routers and some with
> integrated VoIP where if I wanted I would have been able to change
> provisioning configuration, channel scanning, browse through the call
> manager logs and see who's calling or being called, etc.
>
> Isn't this a huge security hole ?
>
> It wont take much for a kiddie to write a very simple script to drive
> crazy the noc guys taking down pieces of the network here and there ...
>
> If a grownup from TWC/RR wants to get more specifics feel free to
> contact me.
>
> Regards

Yes  this is a huge security hole. Management networks should always be restricted to some extent and the fact that default passwords allow you into VoIP gateways provides an avenue for call fraud. At a very minimum the devices should restrict which addresses can talk to them (ie. management servers in the MSO) and passwords should be non-default.

Maybe you can consult with the local MSO?

Kind regards,
Truman