How common are wide open SIP gateways?

David Birnbaum davidb at pins.net
Fri Feb 5 17:45:13 UTC 2010

If you are using Asterisk (and many derived PBXs), and your installation is old
enough, and your default context will complete a call...then you may find you
are giving free calling out.  This was fixed at some point in the Asterisk
default configuration files.

We have noticed a lot of issues with Asterisk 1.2 and some 1.4 rollouts.
FreePBX had some truck-sized holes in it.

On our relatively small client base, we are seing SIP probing on more or less a
non-stop basis, and some of our customers have been hacked over the years.
It's definitely increasing - the modern equivilent of the open-DISA access many
old PBX/VMs offer.

On the plus side, they ususal start calling North Korea or Somalia or something
which triggers the alarms, so they get shut down right away; we offer a default
"Axis of Evil" block to stop international calling to the high-fraud countries
that are out there and only allow calling there upon customer request.  I
wouldn't be at all surprised to find much cleverer people that have hacked PBXs
and are making calls at a moderate pace to domestic or other inexpensive areas
as to avoid detection.

Cheers,

David.

-----