fiber plant management?
Justin M. Streiner
streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Feb 4 14:56:22 UTC 2010
To those of you who currently operate large campus/metro fiber plants,
what are you currently using to track the usage of that plant? By that I
mean things such as:
* tracking the number of free/used/unusable strands in a cable
* tracking conduit utilization
* tying OTDR test results/power meter readings to strands
* trying as-built drawings to cable routes and plant assets like
manholes, junction boxes, transition splice points, duct banks,
utility poles, etc.
* mapping termination bays to cables
* tracking cross-connects and splice locations
* grouping cable segments and cross-connects together into a path/circuit
* utilization reports, etc.
I've looked at one or two commercial packages, and might look at more as
time permits. I haven't seen much in the open-source world, and I suspect
that many places ended up rolling their own management apps to tie into
existing provisioning systems, etc. It's possible that I could end up
going that route as well.
More information about the NANOG