Mitigating human error in the SP

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Feb 2 17:33:50 UTC 2010

We have solved 98% of this with standard configurations and templates.

To deviate from this requires management approval/exception approval after an evaluation of the business risks.

Automation of config building is not too hard, and certainly things like peer-groups (cisco) and regular groups (juniper) make it easier.

If you go for the holy grail, you want something that takes into account the following:

1) each phase in the provisioning/turn-up state
2) each phase in infrastructure troubleshooting (turn-up, temporary outage/temporary testing, production)
3) automated pushing of config via load override/commit replace to your config space.

Obviously testing, etc.. is important.  I've found that whenever a human is involved, mistakes happen.  There is also the "Software is imperfect" mantra that should be repeated.  I find vendors at times have demanding customers who want perfection.  Bugs happen, Outages happen, the question is how do you respond to these risks.

If you have poor handling of bugs, outages, etc.. in your process or are decision gridlocked, very bad things happen.

- Jared